Monday, July 13, 2015

My Trainer Got Transferred to Berkeley!

July 13, 2015

Dear Family:

So this week was kind of crazy, it was the last week of the transfer so that is always a good time. We had a good week. As usual we had a bunch of stuff fall through but we got a lot done despite that. Unfortunately I do not have my planner with me so I do not remember too much of what we actually did.

Tuesday, I went on exchanges into the Lao ward, that is always fun. It is nice to get perspective. If you think your life is difficult then try finding investigators and getting stuff done in the Lao ward, speaking lao. There are a lot more Laotians here than elsewhere, but not that many really. But those guys are awesome.

Most of the rest of the week we spent in Richmond trying and mostly failing to meet with our people there. But we added this awesome kid Edwin on Wednesday. He is like 16 and we met him a couple weeks ago on the street and he was super receptive. We finally got to sit down with him and he asked a bunch of really good questions about life and we taught him the Plan of Salvation. I am excited to teach him more. He, like everyone else is pretty hard to meet with though. He is young and does not currently have a phone. Plus getting inside that apartment complex is always an adventure, the gates are always locked so we walk around until we see one open and then sprint in. I've gotten pretty good at that on my mission.

Sunday we got to go to Why I Believe. It was good. They are funny because it is full of people who do not know Mormon culture so it gets pretty rowdy. Its good to get some interesting people in the church. The speakers were all good, and President and Sister Frandsen were awesome. I think we are about to see a lot of great things in the mission. Our most recent convert Lilia was able to come and she loved it so maybe we can get her to speak at an upcoming one. That would be awesome.

Lilia is doing well, she has been hard to meet with but we got to sit down with her this week. We have really been pushing her to read the Book of Mormon daily and she does it pretty consistently! She is about to get into 2nd Nephi even, which is awesome. Its been funny the past couple weeks talking to her, she is like a completely different person since we first met with her. She is so happy now and active, whereas before she mostly just stayed at home and did other stuff. But she comes to church and Book of Mormon class and is out doing stuff and is living again basically! It has been awesome to see the change the Gospel has had in her life. The Gospel is awesome!

So we had transfer calls on Saturday, very exciting. Elder Schaeffer got a call from President Frandsen in the middle of studies to be a District Leader in Berkeley! So I knew that their were some changes coming. I am staying in Hilltop 2nd and my new companion is Elder Rowley. He is currently in my zone so I know him a bit. He is from Winchester, Virginia so that is cool. I'll let you know more next week.

Love,

Elder Hyde

No comments:

Post a Comment